The Chase Center project team celebrated another important construction milestone this week with the commencement of structural steel work on site. Over the course of the next 10 months, nearly 17,000 tons of steel will be erected as the development takes shape.
Structural Steel Fast Facts:
- Duration of arena steel work: 11/20/17 to 9/1/2018
- Duration of office building steel work: 2/27/2018 to 8/18/2018
- Completion of structural steel on September 1, 2018 is considered the project's "topping out"
- Chase Center development total steel tonnage: nearly 17,000 tons (Arena = 10,590 tons; Office Tower: 6,000 tons)
- Arena steel is fabricated and being erected by SME Steel
- Office building steel is fabricated by Gayle Manufacturing Company and being erected by Cal Erectors
- The longest/largest girder is 57 feet 6 inches long; tallest/depth girder is 80 inches; truss length across the arena is 325 feet
- Structural steel iron workers will peak at 80
- Total craftworkers currently on site: 40
Chase Center is a state-of-the-art venue on an 11-acre site in San Francisco’s Mission Bay neighborhood. The privately-financed project includes a state-of the-art 18,000-seat arena, two office buildings, 100,000 square feet of mixed-use/retail space, and underground parking. More than three acres -- 30 percent of the site -- will be plazas, landscaping and other public spaces.
The project is being built by the Mortenson l Clark joint venture team and is scheduled to open in time for the 2019-20 NBA season.