Mortenson has announced the University of Minnesota Rochester (UMR) will be an anchor tenant in One Discovery Square, its new Destination Medical Center (DMC) Discovery Square development, when it opens in 2019. UMR adds an important academic health sciences component to the building, which is designed to unite doctors and researchers in a one-of-a-kind ecosystem to explore and bring innovative new discoveries to patients and the market faster. UMR will utilize its space for hooded laboratories, learning laboratories and collaborative space for faculty, students and other building tenants.
Proximity to downtown Rochester and UMR’s existing campus was a significant factor in choosing the One Discovery Square site, according to UMR Chancellor Dr. Lori J. Carrell. “Our mission as an innovative undergraduate health sciences university is greatly enhanced by our immersion in the Rochester community. UMR students are in the heart of the medical world and are able to learn and work alongside some of the foremost practitioners and leaders in health care research. Our presence in Discovery Square will enrich our students’ experience.”
UMR joins Mayo Clinic as an early tenant in One Discovery Square, the only place to collaborate alongside the premier health care provider in the U.S. The first phase of Discovery Square will provide opportunities for unparalleled partnerships and the potential for unprecedented acceleration of discoveries, and UMR is an important component in that mix. Its tenancy will help facilitate UMR’s mission to promote learning and development through research, education and outreach. UMR’s students also will add an energy and vitality that will enhance the collaborative culture of the building.
“Youth, energy and the beginner’s mind are foundational elements of innovation. UMR brings plenty of each, creating a culture of intellectual curiosity within One Discovery Square, which will accelerate commercialization and ensure that what’s here is what’s next,” said Jeremy Jacobs, director of development at Mortenson. “We are excited to have the faculty, staff and students of UMR in One Discovery Square for years to come.”
- Scheduled to open in 2019
- Located near the Mayo Clinic downtown campus and the Gonda Building, adjacent to Mayo Clinic’s Guggenheim, Hilton and Stabile Buildings
- Proximity to Collider, an entrepreneurial ecosystem for tech innovators and collaborators in Rochester
- An integrated, open workspace design allows tenants to adapt their use of space as they grow and as the biomedical and life science industries continue to change
- Professionally managed day-to-day building activity and event programming throughout the year
- Common spaces will be centralized within the building to promote collaboration among tenants
- The four-story, approximately 90,000 square-foot facility is located at the corner of 4th Street SW and 2nd Avenue SW in the Discovery Square sub-district in Rochester, Minn.
One Discovery Square was designed by the team of RSP Architects and HOK, two of the leading healthcare design firms in the world. Colliers is the leasing agent and oversees tenant recruitment in partnership with Mortenson. Property leasing information is available through Louis Suarez, VP Healthcare Services with Colliers International | Minneapolis-St. Paul, at Louis.Suarez@colliers.com.
Destination Medical Center (DMC) is the largest public-private economic initiative in Minnesota's history. The 20-year plan to transform Rochester into a global destination for health and wellness will attract developers, investors, startups, and entrepreneurs to live, work, and play in America's City for Health. For more information, visit dmc.mn.
Cameron Snyder, Mortenson, 763.287.5493